Learn where to find this template or code
The Atlantic Hurricane season runs from June 1, 2018, till November 30, 2018. A lot can happen in those months and we are sure to see storm activity in the ocean soon enough.
If you are new to South Carolina, or the South Carolina coast, you might not have experienced a hurricane season before now.
You might ask yourself ‘Should I evacuate with the next hurricane?’
The answer might surprise you!
There are several factors involved in whether you should evacuate for a hurricane.
Here are the most important factors you need to decide whether to stay and ride out the next storm, or whether you should evacuate.
It’s a personal decision whether to evacuate or stay during any storm and therefore you will be personally responsible for your actions, either way!
If you’ve ever ridden out a storm at home, you know how scary that can be! You don’t know what can and will happen!
You have to be prepared for the worst …
…and hope for the best!
If you do head to a shelter, make sure to bring the appropriate supplies.
You should bring at least a 3 day supply of the following:
- Food & Water – Bring snacks, bottled water and non-perishable canned or packaged food.
- Medications – Bring prescriptions, glasses and contacts and durable medical equipment.
- Clothing- Bring a complete change of clothes and footwear.
- Bedding – This include blankets and sleeping bags.
- Hygiene Items – Bring sanitizer, toothbrush, toothpaste and sanitary items.
- Important Papers – This includes ID, proof of residency and insurance papers.
- Cash – This is just in case your debit or credit card is not working.
- Entertainment Items -This includes puzzles, toys for children and reading material.
- Miscellaneous – Battery-powered radio, First-Aid Kit, flashlight, Cash
The very best way to prepare for the next storm is to start now before there is a named storm in the Atlantic Ocean headed to South Carolina!