Learn where to find this template or code
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is
a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas that is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels.
CO is found in fumes produced by furnaces, kerosene heaters, vehicles “warmed up” in garages, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, portable generators, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.
How deadly is Carbon Monoxide?
Every year, at least 430 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning. Most of these accidents happen in the home.
Approximately 50,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO poisoning. it is important to know the signs and symptoms of CO Poisoning as to prevent a deadly outcome!
As CO gas is colorless and odorless, it’s hard to detect without technology!
Here are the general signs and symptoms of CO poisoning per the Mayo Clinic:
If you suspect that you or a family member have nee exposed to this deadly gas, don’t wait. Call 911 immediately and get help!
Let’s look at places in and near your home for potential hazards.
If you are like a lot of South Carolinians, you might have a camping stove among your hurricane supplies. Do NOT use this type of stove inside your home!
Watch this video on how to prevent CO poisoning when using a generator during the hurricane season!
Another potential cause of CO poisoning is charcoal when used inside a home, a garage, or even a vehicle, or tent. Do NOT use charcoal anywhere but outside in a well-ventilated area!
Do NOT leave your car running indoors! If you have an (attached) garage, do not run the engine, even with the garage door open. ONly ever leave your car running outdoors.
Any gas appliances such as ranges, ovens, or clothes dryers to heat your home can emit Carbon Monoxide. As a reminder, this gas is odorless and colorless.
Do NOT use unvented fuel-burning appliances in any room where people are sleeping. If they were to malfunction, anyone in the room could be overcome by the deadly gas and never wake up.
Be sure to get your chimney swept each year before using your fireplace, and to not black vents or chimney. CO can build up quickly.
Here is the good news.
CO poisoning is entirely preventable
Prevention + Detection make CO poisoning totally preventable. Carbon Monoxide Detectors are your back up for when an indoor system (like a dryer, oven or stove) fails.
System Sensor carbon monoxide (CO) detectors provide the highest level of CO protection available. Our system-connected devices enable 24/7 central station monitoring that ensures occupants or building management will be alerted if the detector goes into alarm, is disabled, or has reached its six-year end-of-life and needs to be replaced. Furthermore, this system monitoring provides an extra level of protection in cases when occupants are unable to respond to the alarm.
We recommend your Co Detectors be hard-wired into your existing home security system. Give us a call today and we can make that happen ASAP.