Self-Defense Moves to Celebrate National Personal Self-Defense Awareness Month 2020
What is National Personal Self-Defense Awareness Month?
As January is the very first month of every new year; it a great time to focus on YOU.
Your body, your mind, your overall well being.
Included in that should be your personal safety, hence the National Personal Self-Defense Awareness Month was created.
We are so fortunate at Strand Security to have our own self-defense division, Myrtle Beach Self-Defense. If you are in our geographical area, please make sure to connect with MBSD to join us for a class. If you are not in our area, do continue reading to learn more about the importance of self-defense and personal safety awareness!
Myrtle Beach Self-Defense
Several years ago, Heather Bryant of Strand Security started what is now Myrtle Beach Self Defense. Heather teaches self-defense to women and girls in the Myrtle Beach, Grand Strand and surrounding areas.
She’s brought her program to
- sorority members at Coast Carolina University
- Girl Scout troops on the Grand Strand
- business owners via the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce
- entrepreneurs via the Women in Networking group
- Women and Teens at Fun Warehouse
and many more places.
Heather’s goal is to educate and empower women no matter what situation comes at them.
From Awareness to Knowledge to Confidence
The first step to personal safety is awareness.
Awareness that danger is everywhere, that you need to be prepared and that you can prevent or diffuse a dangerous situation – unless a weapon is introduced (that is when the rules change completely)
How do you get the awareness of personal self-defense?
- Read our self-defense tips
- Talk to survivors
- Speak with those who support victims of violence
Next is knowledge – you need to know HOW to defend yourself.
This knowledge comes through both theoretical information, as well as hands-on self-defense classwork.
Muscle memory might be what saves your life one day when you are confronted by an attacker! Practice self-defense moves, over and over and over until you can react in a split second!
Last but not least, while gaining awareness and knowledge, you gain confidence. Confident people are by default, not an easy or ‘preferred’ target!
Basic Self-Defense Moves and Tips
Use your senses to stay alert
- Don’t walk or run with headphones; you can’t hear any approach you
- Listen for clues that someone might be following you
- Use your voice to scare someone off; yelling ‘Fire’, screaming loudly and ‘Get away from me’ are all signs you are in trouble and can alert someone nearby to come to your aid.
- Look up from your phone; don’t walk to your car while typing
Listen to your inner voice to detect danger
- If it doesn’t feel right, it isn’t right
- If you feel uncomfortable, get away – go towards people!
- When things seem ‘off’ don’t dismiss that feeling, act on it instead
Flight, then fight
- it’s best to try to diffuse a situation and then get away from your attacker
- fight when there is nowhere to go
- while it’s called self-defense, you can take the lead on attacking once someone has a grip on you
- use your elbows, knees, and fists to strike. Count to three. Three strikes then move to the next body part
- when fighting for your life, yell! Scream as loud as you can. Self-defense includes scaring off an attacker
- if someone holds a gun to your head and tells you to drive somewhere, buckle up and then drive right into a pole, a ditch, another car if needed, or a building. You’d be injured most likely, but your chances of survival are much higher.
Anything within your reach can be used as a weapon
- shoes / boots
- hot coffee
- anything sharp or heavy (glasses, pen, rock)
- pots and pans
- wine / beer bottles
Muscle memory is your best weapon
Self-defense classes are so important for many reasons. One of the biggest reasons you should take not one, but several, self-defense classes is that you need your muscles to remember what to do when attacked. There will be no time to think. Only to act.
Myrtle Beach Self-Defense Offers Class for Women and Girls
Whether you are on the Grand Strand in the Myrtle Beach area, or live elsewhere, take self-defense classes and learn what to do in case of an attack!
Your life could depend on it!
Learn more by visiting our self-defense division.