5 Crucial Summer Security Tips You Absolutely Need To Know
Summer Time = Burglary Time!
Check out some of these statistics.
- 2 million home break ins are reported each year in the United States!
- 30 percent of break ins occur through an unlocked window or door.
- 66 percent of all break ins are residential break-ins vs business break ins.
- The highest percentage of break ins happens during the summer months.
- Homes without security systems are up to 300% more likely to be broken into.
Isn’t that a bit… shocking?
Here is one more:
Most burglaries happen between 10 AM & 3 PM!
Summer Fun = Empty Home!
Whether you are single, have young kids, teens or are retired; summer time means more time spent outdoors and more time away from home. Especially here on the Grand Strand in South Carolina, people go to the beach, waterpark, out to eat and have fun on the water during the evenings, weekends and during their summer vacation time.
What that does is leave an empty home…
Perfect for those who needs some extra cash aka burglars!
What should you, as a home owner (or renter) do?
Take preventative measures, of course.
Nothing you do can 100% guarantee that your home is safe from burglars, but we can tell you that taking some steps to secure your home will make the chance of your home being of the list of burglarized homes much, much smaller!
We like those odds. If you do, too, read the next five security tips and then implement them, STAT!
Here are 5 Crucial Summer Security Tips
- Lock up your home and set your alarm. Do this every time you leave your home. Whether you go out for 15 minutes, 5 hours or overnight – all it takes is a few minutes for someone to break in!
- Don’t advertise on social media that you will be away. Seriously – hold the airport pictures, the tropical vacation pictures and the ‘we are away’ posts until after you are back.
- Install cameras in your home, not just your office/work building. Cameras will tell the truth as to whom is in your home and will help police catch thieves quicker.
- Install GPS trackers on your RV, four wheeler, boat and cars. Do you like to hold on to your assets? Maybe you’ve worked really hard for those toys? Four wheelers, boats, RVs, sports cars – you like them? So do thieves! These ‘toys’ of yours have a great resale value. GPS trackers help the police locate and retrieve your stolen items!
- Hire a house sitter or stop all deliveries! Nothing says ‘we’re not home’ like piled up mail, empty garbage cans left at the curb, packages left on the front porch overnight, and old newspapers on your lawn. Either stop any and all deliveries, or hire a house sitter to come by every day to take care of those things for you!
Summer Security = Strand Security!
Let us help you!
We have C.O.P.S. standing by to help monitor and protect the people you love and the things you’ve worked hard for. Don’t let criminals get away with ruining your summer fun!