13 Simple Self-Defense Tips That Could Save Your Life!
Have You Ever Been Attacked?
Hopefully, you have not, and we hope no one who reads this will ever need these tips!
However, when it comes to self defense, we’d much rather have you be prepared than not! Self-defense is something that everyone (male or female) should know. It’s easy to walk around and think nothing will ever happen to you, but the sad reality is that things do happen. You can easily be caught off-guard anywhere you go, so knowing a few moves to fight off an attacker is really important.
With these simple self-defense strategies in the back of your mind, you’ll be more prepared to react quickly with control and power. BONUS – You’re much less likely to be targeted with all that confidence!
13 Simple Self-Defense Tips You Need To Know!
- Be aware of your surroundings. Don’t walk through dark parking lots focused on your cell phone. Be aware of what’s going on around you to respond more quickly.
- If you suspect that you’re being followed, head to a public place. Once you’re inside a store or restaurant, tell the manager what’s happening so that you have someone who understands the situation.
- Use apps to keep you safe! ‘StaySafe’ allows you to enter your route and expected arrival time, and alerts emergency contacts when you don’t arrive in time. ‘My Panic Alarm’ makes your phone flash and emit a loud sound at the touch of a button!
- Carrying around pepper spray can be extremely helpful, but it doesn’t do any good if it’s in your purse! Keep it readily available.
- Instead of using a whistle, scream words like STOP, GET BACK, ATTACKER and 911. These are more likely to create a sense of urgency.
- Have your keys ready as soon as you approach your car or house. Right when you walk inside your home, lock the doors. Don’t hold your keys between your fingers like a weapon. The keys will just jam back into your hand upon impact.
- If you happen to be in an elevator, press the button for the next floor. Don’t press the emergency button – it will stop the elevator!
- If you’re with your kids, explain to them that at your command, they need to get behind you quickly and stay put. Having this conversation doesn’t have to be scary! If the kids are pretty small, you can even make a game out of preparation.
- Be willing to give up your wallet, but be smart. Toss it a few feet away from the attacker and take advantage of the opportunity to run!
- Put your cell phones down! You should never walk and text, put your phone in your hand or your purse and be aware of your surroundings. Use your phone while sitting at a bench, in a restaurant or in your car. Nothing is that important for you to sacrifice your safety.
- If it comes down to it, you may have to make a move. Try to stay on your feet for the best opportunity. Strike quickly and get away. Use your elbows, kick and knees and strike hard! Go for a vulnerable location, like eyes, nose, groin, or knees.
- Don’t go it alone. When going to unfamiliar places, ask someone to go along with you. Night time and being alone are a bad combination.
- Take as many self-defense classes as you can and practice those techniques often!
Want to know how knowing self defense saved a local Myrtle Beach woman’s life?
Here is her story as told to WPDE News 15.